Wednesday 26 October 2011

Tax-22.

Hello, Unknown Reader.

Being a tender, vulnerable Eighteen year old A-level student, I should be allowed to earn something in the region of £6,000 a year without being cold bloodedly swindled by the intangibly demonic 'tax man'. Rather unfortunately, this is not the case. I have been stripped of several hard earned gold coins in the last few months, which is irritating, but being a Gold Medallist in the strict discipline of Procrastination, I sort of decided to forget about it. This lackadaisical attitude towards my own earnings was not well received by my financially battle hardened parents, who spoke as if they have picked many a scrap with the T-Man himself, whoever he is. After several gentle, guiding comments encouraging me to take the necessary steps to re-obtain my stolen Tax treasures, I still remained steadfast in my well developed 'I'll do it later' philosophy. After many a heated discussion, it came to my mum sitting me down, thumping in the numbers for the Tax office herself:

0800 300 0627 - before thrusting the dialling phone to my ear which did not want.

Several minutes later, I found myself sat in the same position, phone to ear, listening to the monotonous drone of the robotic voice at the other end. I followed all the appropriate steps, tapping in '1's' and '2's' in accordance with the electronic bints' condescending enquiries. Half infuriatingly, at the end of the computerised monstrosities' ruthless interrogation, I was told to log on to the HMRC Tax Office website and follow the income tax reclaim steps there. I conformed. The website was the perfect visual accompaniment to the robots' rhetoric. Disgustingly logically presented, neither aesthetically pleasing nor displeasing - blindingly mundane. The centre piece of the Homepage however, was a delightfully playful picture of Moira Stewart leaning against a postbox. I easily located the links to the areas of the site I had been trustingly lead to. Once there, I was both horrified and perplexed by the advice offered to me.

"to reclaim overpaid tax please contact HMRC on 0845 300 0627" 


So, I am aware I have already dialled this number, followed the appropriate steps, and been led to the Tax Robot's website as a result of this. The website, appears to want to redirect me back to repeat the terribly artificial encounter with the Tax Offices' resident female robot. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but this does present itself as some form of contradiction: a paradox, a never ending maze at the centre of which lies all the wrongly seized monies of the general population.



No comments:

Post a Comment